[postgis-users] Best Practices for Configuring Large Data Sets

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Fri May 28 09:40:47 PDT 2010

Brent Fraser wrote:
>   Is your PLSS data lines (yikes!) or areas (hopefully)?   And the
> shapefiles have the same attributes (or can be made that way prior to
> areas?  If they are areas, I guess you could use the centroid in the
> query.
They are areas (polygons). The shapefiles are theoretically the same,
but as with most large govt-built databases there are wee variations
that'll whack you if you don't check. So I follow Reagan's advice,
"Trust, but verify."  and will fix the problems I've found already and
make each state table identical in structure.

One suggestion I've received that sounds pretty good is to pre-index the
centroids as well as the polygons. But it sounds like indexing is a very
key part of the process. Disk space and RAM is (relatively) cheap these
days while time seems to be getting more expensive.

--
Bill Thoen
GISnet -  www.gisnet.com