[postgis-users] Magnifying Topology

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Wed Nov 17 04:14:51 PST 2010

On 11/17/10 12:10, strk wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 11:40:41AM +0100, Jan Hartmann wrote:
>> Perhaps this is the wrong list to ask, but I just read Martin Davis' column:
>>
>> http://lin-ear-th-inking.blogspot.com/2010/08/magnifying-topology-using-jts.html
>>
>> It's a tool for the Java Topology Suite (JTS) to discover small
>> topological errors in a vector map. It solves a problem that I have
>> suffered from during my whole GIS career: getting correct input maps.
>> How difficult would it be to implement this in GEOS, and, possibly, to
>> build a hook for it in PostGIS?
> The code seems to be only in TestBuilder, not in core JTS libs.
> Are you sure you want it in PostGIS, btw ? As it really sounds to me
> as something you'd want to compute _temporary_ visualizations for
> human consumption (no analitical computations).

Good point. It's a visualizing tool, so its main use would be in tools
like QGIS and OpenJump. I wonder though whether it would make sense to
build an analytical tool in PostGIS to discover small topology errors,
based on Martin's code. Perhaps something like that is already under
development in the topology code. I'm just looking for something that
can easily clean up this kind of error in vector maps, IMHO one of  the
most common and most difficult errors to find and correct. Just thinking
out loud.

Jan