[postgis-users] Trouble Installing PostGIS 1.5.2 on Enterprise Linux

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Oct 2 06:08:00 PDT 2010

Tom,

Its unclear from your note if this is your problem, but from experience, the
most common problem people run into when compiling PostGIS on Cent OS/Red
Hat EL is the binding between the geos library linking  and postgis-1.5.so.

We documented a workaround here -
http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/147-Compiling-PostGIS-1.5-and
-installing-after-Yum-PostgreSQL-Install.html
-- way down in the problems section

Basically you want to check to make sure the links are right by running
ldd -d /usr/lib64/pgsql/postgis-1.5.so
ldd -d /usr/lib64/pgsql/postgis-1.5.so | grep libgeos
ldd -d /usr/lib64/pgsql/postgis-1.5.so | grep libproj

And then correct them.  We just change the symlinks to point to the right
place -- which we have documented in the above article.

I think Mark Cave-Ayland or Sandro Santilli had a more elegant way of fixing
this issue, but can't find that item.
If they are around, maybe they can chime in on this.

 We should probably note this in the installation and FAQ some where since
it seems several people have been bitten by this.

As a side note  --with-pgsql is obsolete -- you should be using --
--with-pgconfig=FILE  (where FILE is path to your postgresql config)

Leo and Regina
http://www.postgis.us