[postgis-users] trouble installing postgis 1.5.2 in Ubuntu

Mukesh Subedee msubedee at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 15:37:03 PDT 2010

Hi,

I am new to PostGIS and Postgres as well. I am trying to install PostGIS  on
Postgres 8.4.4 running on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I installed all the  dependencies:
GEOS 3.2.2, Proj-4.7, libxml2-2.7.7, gdal-1.7.2 and all  the installation seems
to go well. I have Postgres server up and running  in my localhost in socket
5432 (that I checked with the running  processes (ps -aux | grep post) and
telnet (telnet localhost 5432)). I  can see the running processes for postgres
and the telnet shows the  connection. I am able to createdb, dropdb, createlang
plpgsql logging in  as postgres.
// ----------------
./configure
The make results:
PostGIS was built successfully. Ready to install.
The make check gives the following errors:

psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Since I have been able to run the postgres server in the localhost in  socket
5432, why am I getting this error? Did I miss something while  configuring
postgres? Anyone have any advice what to look for to get it  done?