[postgis-users] pgsql2shp

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Oct 10 11:14:13 PDT 2010

On 10/10/2010 1:52 PM, Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi
> I am using the following
> pgsql2shp -f Test.shp -u postgres -P London2342 -k PDW p_id.image -g
> the_geom
> to export a shape file from postgis.
> Even tho I specify a single geometry column to be exported I get
> warnings that column names have been truncated.

DBF files can only have a maximum of 11 character column names. You
probably have some that are longer. You can work around this problem by
using a query at the end of the commandline like:

'select col1, col2, col3whichisverylong as col3, ... the_geom from
p_id.image'

> Command prompt also informs me that "No prj file will be generated"
> Also a warning 'cannot determine spatial reference". I thought the
> default was -1?

-1 is the default and it means that you have not defined a projection so
it can not create a .prj file. It is generally a good idea to always
define a projection for your data.

-Steve W