[postgis-users] Calculate Destination point given distance and bearing from start point

Arnaud Vandecasteele arnaud.sig at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 21:38:45 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I would like to know if it's possible to calculate a final destination
point given distance and bearing from start point.
For example, I'm in a boat and I know my position, my bearing and my
speed and I want to know where I will be in 10 minutes.

Someone already ask a similar question [1] but when I try the code
given by Miek and I compare it to the example in Movable-type [2] the
result is not the same.

So, if Someone can help me to understand how to do that. I can use
both geometry or geography types, but geography types will be the best
for me.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Arnaud