[postgis-users] Measure distance to nearest border

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Thu Oct 21 01:18:51 PDT 2010

hmm, I have to admit I don't really understand what you are trying to do, but there are some thingsI don't think you really mean. select a.gid, MIN(ST_Distance(a.centroid, b.the_geom)) AS distance FROM pgfinal2008 a, cshapes b, cshapes c WHERE a.gwcode != b.gwcode AND b.gwsyear <= 2008 AND b.gweyear >= 2008 GROUP BY a.gid LIMIT 1;
Why do you have, cshapes c, there. if you have 200 countries in it taking away that will reduce the querytime to 1/200What you get here is theclosest country from your first grid cell.
SELECT pgfinal2008.cell, borddisttest2.gid, MIN(borddisttest2.distance) FROM borddisttest2, pgfinal2008 WHERE borddisttest2.gid = pgfinal2008.gidGROUP BY pgfinal2008.cell, borddisttest2.gid;
This I don't get. Do you have many rows in pgfinal2008 with the same value in pgfinal2008.cell but different pgfinal2008.gid. What is "cell"?  /Nicklas
2010-10-21 Andreas Forø Tollefsen wrote:

Thanks.>
I have found a way to do this calculation.>
However, since i gave 64818 cells and almost 200 countries, the distance from every cell to every country is calculated before the minimum distance is selected.>
This takes awful lot of time.>

Any ideas on how to increase the performance?>

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS borddisttest2;>
CREATE TABLE borddisttest2 AS>
select a.gid, MIN(ST_Distance(a.centroid, b.the_geom)) AS distance FROM pgfinal2008 a, cshapes b, cshapes c WHERE a.gwcode != b.gwcode AND b.gwsyear <= 2008 AND b.gweyear >= 2008 GROUP BY a.gid LIMIT 1;>

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS borddist2008;>
CREATE TABLE borddist2008 AS>

2010/10/13 Nicklas Avén <nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no>

>Hi> >You can not cast to geography that way (if I haven't missed something essential)
> And if you could you would mix geometry and geograph type in ST_Distance, which wouldn't work.> >St_Distance for geometry vs geography uses totally differnt algorithms. The geography calculations is far more advanced. > >ST_Shortestline only works for geometry type.> >/Nicklas>
>

> 2010-10-13 Andreas Forø Tollefsen wrote:

Thanks,> >
I will give it a try.> >
The reason I used the geography types in the distance query, were to get the distance in meters instead of degrees.> >

Andreas

> > 2010-10-13 Andreas Forø Tollefsen wrote:

Hi all,> > >

I have two datasets. On is a quadrate grid, and the other is the boundaries of all countries.> > >
What i want to do is to measure the distance from each centroid of the grid cells to the nearest border, but not all borders. Only the international.> > >

First i convert my country polygon dataset into line features:> > >

select gwcode, gwsyear, gweyear, ST_Boundary(the_geom) AS line Into cshapes_line from cshapes;> > >

Next i calculate the distance from the centroid of each cell to the nearest border where the gwcode (country code) of the cell is the same as the gwcode in the line feature.> > >
drop table if exists borddisttest;> > >
select pgfinal2008.cell, pgfinal2008.gwcode, ST_ShortestLine(pgfinal2008.centroid, st_boundary(cshapes.the_geom)) > > >
AS shortestline, ST_Distance(geography(pgfinal2008.centroid), st_boundary(cshapes.the_geom))/1000 AS borddist > > >
into borddisttest > > >
from cshapes, pgfinal2008 > > >
where cshapes.gwcode = pgfinal2008.gwcode;> > >

The problem here is that when using ST_Boundary, it converts all boundaries into lines, while i only want to get the boundaries where two polygons with different gwcodes meet.> > >
The lines where two countries meet are overlapping, meaning these borders have two gwcodes but in different line entries.> > >

Is there a way to calculate the overlaps within one dataset? If i could do this, then i could put a clause so the measurement only measures to lines with 2 or more gwcodes.> > >

Thanks.