[postgis-users] Point in Polygon Problem

Marc Jansen jansen at terrestris.de
Fri Oct 22 12:50:36 PDT 2010

  Hi Paul,

AFAICT you are using ST_Cointains correctly, and MultiPolygons shouldn't
be an issue. I assume that your geometries have the same SRID, otherwise
PostGIS would complain.

Can you post a full example (including the WKT of both geometries) where
you get false but expect true for ST_Contains(geomA, geomB)?

Something like:

SELECT ST_Contains('POLYGON((0 0, 0 10, 10 10, 10 0, 0 0))', 'POINT(5
5)')  or
SELECT ST_Contains('MULTIPOLYGON(((0 0, 0 10, 10 10, 10 0, 0 0)))',
'POINT(5 5)')

so everyone can easily test this.

Both yield true for my -- ancient ;-) -- POSTGIS="1.3.5"
GEOS="3.0.3-CAPI-1.4.2" PROJ="Rel. 4.4.9, 29 Oct 2004" USE_STATS

Regards,
Marc