[postgis-users] Spatial Index becomes corrupt after spatial updates

Sorin Dudui sd at wigeogis.com
Thu Oct 28 02:21:45 PDT 2010

Hi,

I wrote about this issue some months ago but we still have no solution. We
had also prepared and posted data that reproduces the issue at a smaller
scale.

We try once again, maybe we have more luck and we get an advice. Because of
the problem we have to  reindex the table every hour.

We are using:

"PostgreSQL 8.4.4 on x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC)
4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-46), 64-bit"
"POSTGIS="1.5.1" GEOS="3.2.0-CAPI-1.6.0" PROJ="Rel. 4.7.1, 23 September
2009" LIBXML="2.7.7" USE_STATS"

Do you think that an update to 9.0.1 helps?

Best regards,
Sorin

=====

We have tables that contains both multi-polygons and empty geometries
(MULTIPOLYGON EMPTY). The table has an index on the geometry column. After
some updates with empty polygons the index becomes corrupt and we receive
the error

"Relate Operation called with a LWGEOMCOLLECTION type.  This is unsupported
change argument GEOMETRYCOLLECTION EMPTY"

when we make a spatial selection (ST_Intersects) with a polygon. ST_IsValid
returns true for all geometries.

If we delete the index the spatial query works without issues. For the
moment our workaround is using permanent a  "not st_isEmpty) in the where
clause.

Thank you,
Sorin