[postgis-users] AsText returns nothing but geometries exist in table

Ben Madin lists at remoteinformation.com.au
Mon Oct 18 06:34:33 PDT 2010

In lieu of an informed answer, logic would suggest the geometry must be in the table (if it is displaying correctly in a GIS application).

Therefore, I would suggest that there may be some aspect of displaying it other than in a GIS application that is the problem.

Are you using pgAdmin to view the table data? What operating system? There is a character limit - the normal limit on postgres rows is 2048 characters. But geometry data are not actually stored in the table, rather they are stored in a TOAST table. I would suggest that you try looking at it in psql (the command line application) or I believe there is a plug-in for pgAdmin that might help display the data there.

Be aware also that if your geometries are large, the rows will be wide, and so displaying them in psql might be somewhat frustrating as you will have a large amount of blank space in the table heading etc.

cheers

Ben