[postgis-users] WKTRaster metadata query

Jorge Arévalo jorge.arevalo at deimos-space.com
Sat Sep 4 15:53:03 PDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Shaun Langley <shaunlangley at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have loaded a bunch of TIFF files into my database, but now I have to
> verify that all the pertinant metadata has been preserved.  I want to
> compare with the output from gdalinfo; however, only some of the data seems
> to be accessible from within postgres.  Is all the information there and I
> just can't see it?  Is there an easy way to generate a table formatted in
> the same way as that generated by gdalinfo?
>
> Cheers,
> Shaun

Hello Shaun,

Metadata stored in WKT Raster are: upper left corner, width, height,
pixel size, skew, srid and numbands.

http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-svn/RT_ST_MetaData.html

With other formats, you can use gdal_translate to add metadata to your
raster by using "-co" option, but with PostGIS WKT Raster you can't,
just now, for 2 reasons:

- WKT Raster only keeps basic raster metadata (of course, you always
can add new columns to a raster table, with additional information)
- Even if WKT Raster could store more metadata, you can't use
gdal_translate with "-co" option, because GDAL WKT Raster is a
readonly driver, right now. I'm going to improve it in the next
months.

Best regards,

--
Jorge Arévalo