[postgis-users] pgsql2shp ERROR:mixed geometry types in table

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Sep 5 19:41:49 PDT 2010

On 9/5/2010 10:16 PM, Denis Rykov wrote:
> I've tried to convert all my geometries to MULTI* with ST_Multi()
> function but it works very slowly.
>
> 2010/9/5 Denis Rykov<rykovd at gmail.com>:
>> Hi, I have a PostGIS table with Polygonal and Multi Polygonal  types
>> of geometry.
>> I used the pgsql2shp last year and had no problems. But some days ago
>> I've update pgsql2shp from svn.
>> And now I can't convert my PostGIS data into shapefile because I get
>> an error : "ERROR: Mixed geometry types in table".
>> I think that it is not necessary to consider this case as erroneous.

Denis,

How you converting them? Using and UPDATE?
This would be very slow because every (most?) rows in the table would
need to be updated.

There are a couple of faster alternatives:

1. create table newtable select ..., st_multi(the_geom) form ...;
    then dump that table

2. pgsql2shp [<options>] <database> "select ..., st_multi(the_geom) as
the_geom from ...."

-Steve W