[postgis-users] Inserting Geometries into PostGres database - ???

CS cspam1234 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 14:12:23 PDT 2010

Hi all. I am having problems inserting a geometry type into a database. I am using postgres 8.4 and whatever the latest postgis there is(i forgot now). Linux with glassfish is the server environment.

I have seen multiple hardcoded examples about how to insert something in the VALUES clause but what if i have an array of polygons that cannot be hardcoded that is already determined? That is the coordinates and type of the shape is already decided. This lends to the question as to whether you can use a preparedStatement and setString to insert a geometry. This is what i need some help on.

an example of a WKT for a certain cell that i have is:

POLYGON ((-90.406 31.07360133086052, -90.406 31.34423828125, -90.09073538749632 31.34423828125, -90.09073538749632 31.07360133086052, -90.406 31.07360133086052))

i want to be able to take this(as  a string, if possible) and insert into the database using a prepared statement.

PreparedStatement.setString(1, cells[cellIndex].getShape().getWkt());, where getWKT returns the string representation. Of course this doesnt work because the type of the column is a postgis geometry. So, again, how do you use a prepared statement to insert a WKT string representation?

I have tried this:

String tempString = cells[cellIndex].getShape().getWkt();
String parameterInsert = "insert into Cell(result, report, modified, cellid, missionid, shape) values (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, GeomFromText(tempString,4326))";

where tempString would be the POLYGON above and i get the error: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: Invalid OGC WKT (does not
start with P,L,M or G), which doesnt really make much sense to me.

I try to put single quotes around each one like:

String tempString = "'" + cells[cellIndex].getShape().getWkt() + "'";

and i get the error that tempString as  a column does not exist.

There also seems to be some confusion on the postgis message boards whether a single quote is even needed. I was never able to come to a definite conclusion.

I would appreciate help to all who could help. ive tried everything that i know at this point. Thanks a bunch in advance!

CS