[postgis-users] Incremental retrieval of data from DB

vikashvikky vikashtalanki at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 13:36:48 PDT 2011

Hi frnds,

        I am using Postgis as my backend for my project along with geoserver
and openlayers. I have a table in my DB which gets filled up very
frequently.  Now when a user gets connected to a server , he can see the map
with all the markers whose points are in the DB. Imagine the table keeps on
filling up and there is no relation between user viewing the map and tables
getting filled by values. Now suppose after some time when user clicks on
certain button on the page, he has to see the map with markers of all the
values present in the DB(along with new points inserted in the table since
last time he clicked that button). This task can be made simple by making
that button as submit button, but when the user clicks it, it reads the
entire DB again(reloads the page) along with old points and projects on the
map, instead of reading only the new points. This method is not at all good
when I have 10000 points already in DB and only say 5 points getting added
in the meantime. In this case it reads all the 10005 points instead of only
5 points.

So can anybody give me a solution on how to retrieve only the new points,
still projecting all the points present in DB. To my knowledge Ajax can be
used to do the same(which doesnt need reloading of the page) but I want a
clear explanation of how to carry this work using postgis and geoserver. Are
there any special functions which can handle this?? If not, what is the
better way to do this?

Thanking you in advance.