[postgis-users] Res: [Annouce] GISVM Base

Ricardo Pinho rpinho_eng at yahoo.com.br
Tue Apr 12 23:52:07 PDT 2011

Thank you Jorge.
We really appreciate your opinion and suggestions!
Let me know if need help on that conversion.
Cheers,
Ricardo

________________________________
De: Jorge Arévalo <jorge.arevalo at deimos-space.com>
Para: PostGIS Users Discussion <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net>
Cc: Ricardo Pinho <rpinho_eng at yahoo.com.br>
Enviadas: Quinta-feira, 7 de Abril de 2011 8:08:23
Assunto: Re: [postgis-users] [Annouce] GISVM Base

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 2:44 AM, Ricardo Pinho <rpinho_eng at yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> Dear all,
> We are proud to announce the new “GISVM BASE”.
> Available now for FREE DOWNLOAD at: http://gisvm.com
>
> GISVM ("GIS Virtual Machine") is a Ubuntu Linux distribution for GIS users,
> packaged as a virtual machine, a completely isolated computer that can be
> run in a window inside your current operating system.
>
> This new BASE edition, based on a minimum Ubuntu 10.10 installation,
> provides the user with simple Double Click install scripts for an unlimited
> possible number of open-source GIS packages.This way, users are FREE to
> build their own GISVM by installing the desired GIS packages.
>
> By the time of this announcement these are the available install scripts:
> - Quantum GIS / Grass
> - uDIG
> - gvSIG
> - OpenJump
> - Kosmo
> - R
> - GeoServer
> - GeoMajas
>
> We plan to keep adding more install scripts, depending on the users feedback
> and request.
>
> PLEASE REGISTER ON THE GISVM USER MAILLING LIST and help us improve this new
> version: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gisvm-users
>
> We would also appreciate it if you SPREAD THE WORD. Put it in your blog,
> forum, facebook, twitter, webpage, and so on.
>
> Thank you,
> Ricardo Pinho

Hi Ricardo,

That sounds really great! I was working in a VM like that, executed in
an Amazon EC2 microinstance (free tier). Now, I think I can try a kind
of "VMWare to AMI" process, using your GISVM. Maybe adding PostGIS
Raster too.

That could help:
http://thewebfellas.com/blog/2008/9/1/creating-an-new-ec2-ami-from-within-vmware-or-from-vmdk-files

Many thanks! I'll publish your work in my blog, and I'll tweet it.

--
Jorge Arévalo
Internet & Mobilty Division, DEIMOS
jorge.arevalo at deimos-space.com