[postgis-users] getting started with postgis functions and openlayers

Robert Buckley robertdbuckley at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 1 03:02:57 PDT 2011

Hi,

I am pretty well versed with getting data into postgis and displaying them with
Geoserver /Openlayers/Geoext etc

I am now logically looking into the possibilities of running postgis functions (
that´s what it´s there for!) and displaying the results in my apps.

As a newbie in this area, I can´t see how this can happen dynamically. I have
carried out spatial functions on data in the posgresql commandline...but what do
I do now? Can I make a view of the results? Export the results into it´s own
table?

Can this be done client-side...ie the user were able to select a point and run a
buffer command, how would this then be saved in postgis and then displayed in a
map online? Is this even how it all works?

thanks for any feedback,

Rob