[postgis-users] help with backing up and restoring apostgis database

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri Aug 5 14:07:45 PDT 2011

Vishal,

Did you install PostGIS in the new database you created before trying to
restore? From your errors doesn't sound like you did that.  Please give that
a try and let us know if you have trouble.

We have instructions documented here:

http://www.postgis.org/documentation/manual-svn/postgis_installation.html#ha
rd_upgrade

For windows, the included batch script should allow you to create a new
spatially enabled database.  Just have to change the lines to fit your
platform.  I've just been creating new databases with the script instead of
using a template_postgis since postgis 2.0 is still in flux.  So though the
script has a template_postgis specified, you can use to build any postgis
enabled database by changing the name of the database in the batch script.

We compiled a new windows build yesterday so is very up to date

http://www.postgis.org/download/windows/experimental.php#PostGIS_2_0_0

As far as your permission questions, probably best to ask that on the
PostgreSQL general group.  For PostgreSQL 9.0, we usually just use the new
default permissions features to set the permissions of the database and
schemas before we restore anything.

Hope that helps,

Regina and Leo

http://www.postgis.us <http://www.postgis.us/>