[postgis-users] PostGIS to Web Map?

James David Smith james.david.smith at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 11:11:42 PDT 2011

Dear all,

Bit of a geneal question this rather than something specific, but I've
been following a few of the other queries on here talking about Open
Layers, Geoserver and Google Maps, and it's reminded me that I really
want to try and learn how to connect/convert my local PostGIS database
into something that renders on a webpage. I realise that this is a big
question, but wondered if anyone could give me a basic few steps as
way of pointers - and then perhaps some links to more detail where I
can go and learn how to do each step myself? I'm very happy to learn -
just not sure where to start!

To be clear, at the moment I have a local database on my machine. I
guess really I need to move this database to an online environment and
host it somewhere? Then I need to build some webpages with a map, that
interact with the database? There's no specific project here, just
something I want to learn in my spare time as it'll be useful for the
future.

As you can see my knowledge of how to put all this together is a bit
vague to say the least. If it helps I have basic experience of Java +
Javescript including the Google Maps API, am decent at HTML and CSS,
and am becoming familiar with PostgreSQL and PostGIS - I just don't
know how to join them all up at the moment - or where the gaps in my
knowledge are.

Best wishes

James