[postgis-users] Help dumping data from an old database

Chris Gat chris.gat at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 15:28:51 PDT 2011

Hello,

I've recently been tasked with reviving an older database that hasn't been
touch in a while. Both postgres and postgis were used to create this
database. My ultimate goal at this point is to be able to dump the database
from the linux server where it currently resides, to a mac workstation.

Here is the short version of what I've done so far and the problem I'm
having:
build/install postgresql 8.2.3
at this point, I can access the database (via psql, SELECT), but if I try to
use pg_dump (pg_dump MYDB > MYDB.sql), I get the error:

ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/liblwgeom.1.2.so": No such file or
directory
STATEMENT:  COPY public.boundaries (gid, fnode_, tnode_, lpoly_, rpoly_,
length, world_, world_id, bnd_type, bnd_status, bnd_study, area, len,
the_geom) TO stdout;

Obviously, after some investigation, I realize I need postgis. So I,
build/install proj4 4.7
build/install geos 3.1.1
when I try to build postgis-1.2.1, I get the build error (after running
make):

lwgeom_geos_c.c: In function `postgis_geos_version':
lwgeom_geos_c.c:84: warning: implicit declaration of function `VARATT_SIZEP'
lwgeom_geos_c.c:84: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
lwgeom_geos_c.c: In function `relate_full':
lwgeom_geos_c.c:2073: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
lwgeom_geos_c.c: In function `GEOS2LWGEOM':
lwgeom_geos_c.c:2430: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target type
lwgeom_geos_c.c:2439: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target type
lwgeom_geos_c.c:2449: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target type
lwgeom_geos_c.c:2450: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target type
lwgeom_geos_c.c:2454: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target type
lwgeom_geos_c.c:2455: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target type
lwgeom_geos_c.c:2476: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target type
lwgeom_geos_c.c: In function `polygonize_garray':
lwgeom_geos_c.c:2815: warning: passing arg 1 of `GEOSPolygonize' from
incompatible pointer type
lwgeom_geos_c.c: In function `LWGEOM_buildarea':
lwgeom_geos_c.c:2965: warning: passing arg 1 of `GEOSPolygonize' from
incompatible pointer type
lwgeom_geos_c.c:3008: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target type

I can build/install postgis-1.3 and postgis-1.4, but these versions don't
create the proper liblwgeom.so file.

Any ideas as to why this is occurring would help greatly. I should also
mention that the most important information in this database has nothing to
do with postgis, therefore, if there is a way to ignore the tables
associated with postgis, and thus avoid the liblwgeom requirement, that
would suffice.

Some additional information:
-when configuring postgres, proj4, geos, I used --prefix=/mydirectory/
-when configuring postgis, I used --prefix=/mydirectory/
--with-psql=/pathToPgconfig --with-geos=/pathToGeoConfig
--with-proj=/mydirectory/

Also, I use GNU make 3.8

Thanks for you help, I appreciate it.

Chris