[postgis-users] PostGIS installation/data import problem

sonja_efe sonja at epo-energy.com
Wed Aug 24 03:40:09 PDT 2011

We installed Postgre 9.0 using one-click installer for Windows x86-32 and
installed PostGIS 1.5 using Postgre’s Stack builder. The computers system
type is x64-based PC and the operation system is Windows 7 professional. We
are planning to use the software together with Qgis for creating and
managing an object-relational database. The installation procedure went
seemingly fine, and we managed to create databases successfully using
pgAdmin III.

Testing the PostGIS connection works well, but when we try to connect data
our database, we get an error message that
“PostGIS not available: The chosen database does not have PostGIS installed,
but this is required for storage of spatial data.”

When we use postGIS importer within pgAdmin III, testing of the connection
is also successful, but importing fails. The error message is
“Failed in pgui_exec(): ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8":
0xe3b664. Shapefile import failed.”

With PostGIS Manager plugin in Q we managed to create a database, but it
lacks geometry. Only the attribute data was imported. When we try to add
PostGIS tables in Q trunk, it only gives these databases with no geometry.

The default schema is public and connections have been allowed.

I hope that someone can help us with this!

P.S. I would also like to know if there are alternative ways to create fully
functional geographical relational databases in Q. Qspatialite seems to be
too limited for our needs.