[postgis-users] OT Understanding slow queries

fork forkandwait at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 13:00:46 PDT 2011

Charles Galpin <cgalpin <at> lhsw.com> writes:

> All of your feedback has been most helpful.  Yes this query is contrived but I
*thought* it was
> representative of a worst case scenario that might be similar to future data
sets and it's likely not.

I think we are all glad to help.  The count(*) assumption is reasonable enough
to be made by LOTS of people.

One thing -- while we hope that you ask lots of questions on this list, would
you not "top posting", and trimming out non-germane text?  Threading and
trimming make a conversation MUCH easier to follow.

Also -- if you are developing an app that will be rolled out later or that is
somewhat academic, I would consider Postgres on trunk if it has features you
really need.  It is easy to build, just make sure you back up your data...