[postgis-users] BYTE_ORDER in SVN trunk on Solaris/i386

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Mon Dec 19 04:00:42 PST 2011

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Martin Spott <Martin.Spott at mgras.net> wrote:
>> Martin Spott wrote:
>>
>>> at least according to my experience, liblwgeom/lwout_wkb.c (and
>>> probably others as well, but I didn't check) is missing a declaration
>>> of BYTE_ORDER on Solaris platforms.
>>
>> ....  with GCC,

> Is that define in a different header on Solaris? Or just nonexistent?

As far as I can tell there's no such thing as BYTE_ORDER on Solaris (in
contrast to Linux, which has "endian.h") and it looks like all the
other tools in the chain (PostgreSQL, PROJ.4, GEOS, GDAL) don't make
any use of it.
There's "asm/byteorder.h" on both Linux and Solaris/i386, but I'm
uncertain if it's of any use here.  Neither Solaris/SPARC not AIX are
having either of them  ;-)

I just found out that I'm not the first to face this item  ;-)

  http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2011-May/013223.html

....  but including "<sys/types.h>" doesn't help.

Just by accident I stumbled over this one - apparently they're rolling
their own:

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/thrift/trunk/lib/py/src/protocol/fastbinary.c

Cheers,
	Martin.