[postgis-users] Missing GEO data

Dan Putler dan.putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Tue Dec 20 15:40:32 PST 2011

Hi Mikal,

I assume you are talking about results you are getting from the PostGIS
TIGER Geocoder. The US Census Bureau does not provide address points,
which is what would be needed for "rooftop" geocoding, and under Title
13 of the US Code, they legally can't for privacy reasons. What the US
Census Bureau does provide is street segments with address range
information as part of their TIGER/Line product. However, this address
range information has been obfuscated to a certain extent to be
compliant with Title 13. What this means is that the geo-positioning
will me a bit off for most addresses, will always be along the street
and not on the rooftop, and will purposely have some missing addresses.
If you truly need rooftop geolocations (which is needed for emergency
response, but few other applications), you will need to use something
other than the TIGER data. If you want it for a small area, say a county
or the Borough or City of Anchorage, you can consider basing an address
point data set from a local parcel layer along with the parcel situs
addresses obtained from the relevant local government agencies (likely
both the GIS group and the Assessors Office). Address point data can
also be obtained from commercial vendors, such as NAVTEQ.

News reports indicate that the Census Bureau is willing to release the
Master Address File to the public, but this would require Congress to
amend Title 13 of the US Code.

Dan