[postgis-users] speeding up simple pt-in-poly lookups

Martin Davis mtnclimb at telus.net
Thu Dec 22 21:06:06 PST 2011

You may well be right that for this particular case of testing
polygon/point intersection it's efficient to use a distance function,
since that uses the simple stabbing line point-in-polygon algorithm
(whereas ST_Intersects has much more complicated code behind it, which
may not be fully optimized).

It is probably better to use ST_DWithin(geom1, geom2, 0) rather than
ST_Distance(geom1, geom2) = 0, since ST_DWithin can optimize the case
where points lie outside the query polygon.  When checking intersection,
the actual distance is irrelevant (and is expensive to compute when the
point lies outside the polygon.

And note that using distance functions stops being efficient when
testing things that aren't points (such as linestrings or polygons),
since this uses a brute-force O(n^2) algorithm.