[postgis-users] Using PostGIS in commercial application

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Tue Dec 27 17:02:08 PST 2011

The Gimp and Gtk are under the same basic licensing, so it's hardly a
great example in this case. I take my lead from EnterpriseDB, which
installs their proprietary PostgreSQL without PostGIS but allows you
to add PostGIS later as an option. Their "work" that they distribute
does not include PostGIS by default, and by design after consultations
with their legal team.

"You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole
or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part
thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties
under the terms of this License."

The question hinges on whether an integrated installer is a "work",
and as I noted in my response, it is at best a grey area, certainly
not a region of guaranteed certainty one way or another.

P.