[postgis-users] Declarative SQL query for non-overlapping buffers given dense points?

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 17:25:29 PST 2011

Hi

Given a table of peaks with the fields id, name, elevation, geom I'd
like to write a query which returns to me only those (randomly
selected) peaks - i.e. peak buffers say with radius 5 kilometers -
which dont 'overlap'. This is motivated by a visualization use case
where label names should'nt overlap because of lack of visual space -
as well as because of low network capacity between db and client!

Any ideas on how to solve this with a declarative SQL query?

The only promising approach I found so far was is to define a subquery
with ranked buffers and then to select some out of these...

-S.