[postgis-users] Upgrade using postgis_restore.pl

Armin Burger armin.burger at gmx.net
Tue Feb 15 13:37:15 PST 2011

Hi all

I needed to upgrade PostGIS together with Postgres, the versions were:

Postgres: 8.3 -> 9.0
PostGIS: 1.3 -> 1.5

I followed the description in the Postgis docs for the "hard upgrade"
using "postgis_restore.pl". It worked but I got a few error messages
sent to stderr, like

ERROR:  function st_histogram2d_in(cstring) does not exist
ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/liblwgeom": No such file or directory
ERROR:  function public.asukml(geometry) does not exist
ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/liblwgeom": No such file or directory

These seem to correspond to messages with "KEEPING" written to the
restore log , like

KEEPING TYPE [histogram2d]
KEEPING TYPE [histogram2d]
KEEPING FUNCTION: [askml(geometry, integer, integer)]
KEEPING FUNCTION: [asukml(geometry)]

The database seems to work fine after the restore, and so far I have not
found any problems. Can I silently ignore those errors (the docs don't
say anything how I should handle the "KEEPING..." messages). To me the
functions causing errors and KEEPING messages look like they're not
included any more in Postgis 1.5 (the KEEPING messages are written out
also for custom procedures).

Thanks in advance for any clarifications

Armin