[postgis-users] How to locate adjacent polygons?

Colin colinflack at fastmail.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 14:38:13 PST 2011

Hi

I'm quite new to postgis and spatial databases.
competent with sql and db's

My problem: How to locate adjacent polygons.

I have around around 2k irregular polygons.
They've have been calculated as alpha / concave hulls from point sets.
They're saved into pg as multipolygons

id | description | geom

The polygons dont have any regularity with regard to location and
interaction
the majority are close to a neighbour, but not touching. Typically
within +/- 1 - 5% of polygon max dim
a small number slightly overlap 1 or more neighbours, usually to quite a
small extent
their irregular shape can include 'undercuts'

I need to identify the adjacent neighbours for each polygon

I looked at various methods that might allow me to do this but I cant
get a 100% solution

Can anyone suggest methods that might work

thanks

Colin