[postgis-users] shp2pgsql encoding question

Dheeraj Chand dheeraj at dheerajchand.com
Tue Feb 22 18:56:37 PST 2011

Hi, everyone,

I think that I can describe this as a very, very stupid encoding question. I'm getting an error in shp2pgsql about changing the encoding of the database, and when I try changing via the \encoding function, I find that the changes are not sticking.  Is there a better way to do this?

tardis-2:County Shapefile dheerajchand$ shp2pgsql -s 4326 tl_2009_us_county public.counties | psql -U dheerajchand -h localhost -p 5432 -d jamaa
Shapefile type: Polygon
Postgis type: MULTIPOLYGON[2]
SET
SET
BEGIN
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence "counties_gid_seq" for serial column "counties.gid"
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "counties_pkey" for table "counties"
CREATE TABLE
                      addgeometrycolumn
 public.counties.the_geom SRID:4326 TYPE:MULTIPOLYGON DIMS:2
(1 row)

INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
INSERT 0 1
Unable to convert data value to UTF-8 (iconv reports "Illegal byte sequence"). Current encoding is "UTF-8". Try "LATIN1" (Western European), or one of the values described at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/multibyte.html.
INSERT 0 1
tardis-2:County Shapefile dheerajchand$