[postgis-users] PostGIS documentation license

Ben Madin lists at remoteinformation.com.au
Thu Jul 28 07:28:04 PDT 2011

I kind of agree with Regina here...

On 28/07/2011, at 1:50 AM, Paragon Corporation wrote:

> They're willingness to give back these changes wouldn't have been any different if PostGIS were GPL or BSD because to them PostGIS
> is just a wheel in their armor like any other database software would be. However the fact that PostGIS is GPL does give some a pause for concern as to how they distribute it etc and their willingness to even use it since it does bring up the question of where their software begins and PostGIS ends.

We certainly don't have the ability to give much back - except the bug reports and maybe some help on lists, but we do occasionally have clients (some of them very small local parts of very large multinational organisations) who want solutions without any of the complications of the licensing required by GPL. If it looks like getting confusing or complicated, they would rather just pay.

While I personally might believe that this is misguided, I can't really afford to turn them away... although if they could give me the money they shelled out on proprietary database licences, I wouldn't have so many problems...

Anyhow...