[postgis-users] OLYHEDRALSURFACE WKT format and related tools?

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Jun 2 07:10:50 PDT 2011

Stefan,

Hi,

> We're experimenting with terrestrial surveying data about buildings in
> 3D whereas there are mainly facades and the roof (but mostly no
> floor).
> Now I'm looking for a format to store the output which consist of 3D
> planes, possibly interrelated.
> So far we are visualizing the work using VRML (.wrl) format and viewers.

>  Knowing PostGIS 2D quite well I thought that the WKT format of
> POLYHEDRALSURFACE could be a better solution.
> I somewhere found that there is a ST_AsX3D(geom. precision) which
> could output a VRML-like visualization format.
Yap that is the reason we created an ST_As3D function.  We are working on a
project
That utilizes X3D rendering.  To be honest though the PostGIS geometry stuff
is more on our second phase and the
ST_As3D functions are there to make our second phase a smooth ride.  That
said most of our
X3D is really 3D points, rotation angles,

> What do you think about chosing the POLYHEDRALSURFACE WKT format?
You mean storing as Geometry write but passing in POLYHEDRALSURFACE wkt?

Depending on what you are doing POLYHEDRALSURFACE or TIN would probably be
your best bet.
Sounds like POLYHEDRAL would be better if you don't really care about
landscape.

> Are thee tools/fragments to insert and visualize POLYHEDRALSURFACE
> data out of PostGIS?
You can insert WKT POLYHEDRALSURFACE in PostGIS 2.0.

Thanks,
Regina
http://www.postgis.us