[postgis-users] How do you use PostGIS Raster?

Bryce L Nordgren bnordgren at fs.fed.us
Tue Jun 7 13:04:53 PDT 2011

Pierre Racine <Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca>
Sent by: postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net
06/07/2011 07:30 PM
Please respond to
PostGIS Users Discussion <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net>

cc

Subject
Re: [postgis-users] How do you use PostGIS Raster?

What are you missing to implement any of those in PostGIS raster?

For the first thing: maybe nothing, but I'd have to check. It would be
convenient if there was a "rasterize" function which would serve as the
inverse of a ST_DumpAsPolygons().

For the second thing: Landsat scenes are ~7000x8000 pixels;
ST_DumpAsPolygons() gives a huge set of geometries. The MODIS fire
perimeters are also huge. The first step is a "global" (image-wide)
analysis. It was very slow when I tried it. We need an ST_Intersection
that returns a clipped raster; and we also need an ST_Union() or
ST_Collect() which returns an aggregated raster.