[postgis-users] How do you use PostGIS Raster?

Javier de la Torre jatorre at vizzuality.com
Thu Jun 9 09:48:13 PDT 2011

Now we are using an open source software called starspan. It actually works pretty well.

What we do is have a server with the raster and a web server exposing an API. It accepts a polygon as geojson and in command line calculate the vsum of the carbon value using starspan.

In PostGIS we could do many more things like intersections and stuff like this before calculating the sum of the raster value. We could stored polygons and with simple sql statements calculate their values... well lot more flexibility in general.

Best,