[postgis-users] how to view in QGIS point's attributes from another linked table

Evgenia Gurova evguruna at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 08:30:44 PDT 2011

Hello

I am not new in GIS, but absolutely new PosgreSQL/PostGIS.. I feel it's
a easy typical situation, but dont know how to deal with it..

I have points of measurements in point PostGIS layer. It is a systematic
grid of points. Each point have a point_ID, generated as "latlon" from
lat and lon  (in decimal degrees) of each point (for lat 54.456 and lon
21.345, point_id will be 5445621345).

And I have a table with many measurements for every point.
Columns are year, JD (julian day), hour, point_ID, wdir, wspeed.

The idea was to avoid duplicating of data, so i can store the points in
a simple small geo-table, and store all the measurements in a separate
table and to link them to be able to see the exact measurement
(according to required year/jd/hour) attributes for the required points.
So, I can open QGIS, open the points according to some criteria (lat/lon
selection...), and then to see/visualize the measured values of specific
some day/time, obtained from the measurements table.

Do i need to do it by creating a view? and how to do it to get it as
geo-layer in QGIS?
Or it should be done by foreign key? If so - how it should look like?
And how to get the attributes in QGIS?

I tried to find an answer on the web - but..well, it takes too much time
for such an easy task :(
May be it could be easier to create a point for every measurement? But
it seems quite strange for me...and not correct way.

Thank you very much
Evgenia