[postgis-users] ST_Distance_Sphere too slow

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Mar 24 16:09:06 PDT 2011

On 3/24/2011 6:14 PM, Julian Perelli wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> I don't know if st_expand is faster than st_distance_sphere but with
> EXPLAIN I saw 2 seq scan, and with your approach I see now one seq
> scan, and one index scan, so I suppose your approach is much better,
> and I think that it couldn't be better.
>
> Could you explain me why that happens? why now is a index scan where
> before was a seq scan?

Spatial indexes only work on the bbox of the geometry and the && is try
if the two geometry bboxes interact with one another.

So if you hav geometry A and B then A && B compares their bboxes. But in
your case you want to find any two geometries that might be as far apart
as 300 meters. If A and B are 300 meters apart then their bboxes will
not interact and you will never be able to select them for computing the
distance. But if we expand the bbox of one of the geometries by 300
meters, then it will interact with the bbox in question and we will
check the distance. If the distance is greater then 300m we will throw
it out anyway.

So && is a fast select using indexes and bboxes.
The distance is not performed on all the pairs that are obviously too
far apart, and since this is an expense computation this is good.

Performance is based more on the false index matches that get rejected
by the more costly distance calculation. If there is not a high
percentage of these then index searchs are extremely fast.

-Steve