[postgis-users] How to create a point geometry from two text fields?

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri Mar 25 09:44:30 PDT 2011

Concatenation of strings & geomfromtext or cast to numeric & makepoint, I'm not sure which would be faster, but both will work.

So (as below)
update mytable set the_geom=ST_GeometryFromText('POINT(' || long || ' ' || lat || ')',4326)

or

update mytable set the_geom=setsrid(makepoint(long::numeric(7,4), lat::numeric(6,4)),4326)

HTH,

  Brent Wood