[postgis-users] how to keep geometry_columns in sync wit tables and views (and new PostGIS 2.0 plans)

Ben Madin lists at remoteinformation.com.au
Thu May 19 22:40:13 PDT 2011

Thanks for the heads-up Regina,

I'm not really over most of the issues with type etc, but from my perspective :

I'm not a big fan of doing things because of specifications written in the past - I've never really understood the geometry_columns table as anything except a metadata table - and while I'm sure that there are advantages in terms of clients connection management, as someone who rarely has more than 50 -80 tables (each with only 1 or 2 geometry columns) and only Gigabytes of data, not Terabytes, since the introduction of functions like populate_geometry_columns(), I've not worried too much about it. It was a pain prior to that!

My concerns (from my use case!) would relate to the risk that clients might struggle to find a table that doesn't exist, or isn't the one that is updated. I suspect that applications under current development would / could be changed, and those that are older may not support the update to 2.0 anyway. Probably better not to go the hybrid route - it might get worse than ugly.

If you are going to make a change, I agree that a major version is the time to do it. We would probably selectively not migrate certain applications rather than going down the line of upgrading and rewriting code - I don't suppose that is a surprise to many people!

cheers

Ben