[postgis-users] Dot Density idea

John Abraham jabraham at ucalgary.ca
Fri May 27 09:53:58 PDT 2011

Just to follow up on this, here is the code we (Abdel-Rahman M. Muhsen and I) finally got around to writing.  We found a function called randompoint which just creates random points within the bounding box of the geometry from Alexandre Sorokine. http://sorokine.blogspot.com/2011/05/postgis-function-for-random-point.html (I see he's updated it 4 days ago to be better for multi-polygons!  We don't have his updates yet.)

Then we wrote a function called dot_density which creates a table called dp which has a point geometry for each point in the polygon.  If there are negative numbers in the point count, it creates the positive number of points but flags them in another column. (We often plot dot density maps with red dots for decreases and blue dots for increases.)

There are still a few improvements we'll likely make.  We'd like to create the geometry column using the addgeometrycolumn function.  We'd like to specify the output table name as a function parameter.  There was also a good idea to use Halton sequences or other "pseudo-random" sequences, instead of truly random points, and Martin Davis implemented a few of the other "pseudo-random" ideas in JTS http://lin-ear-th-inking.blogspot.com/2010/05/more-random-points-in-jts.html .  Other suggestions are welcomed.

This is how we typically use it:

create or replace view dot_cnt as
select the_geom, polygon_id, (quantity_column/1000000)::integer as numpoints from original_data;

select dot_density('dot_cnt',
'the_geom',
'polygon_id',
'numpoints');

alter table dp rename to save_it_for_future_use;

And here are the functions:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION randompoint(geom geometry)
  RETURNS geometry AS
-- from Alexandre Sorokine
$BODY$
DECLARE
 maxiter INTEGER := 1000;
 i INTEGER := 0;
 x0 DOUBLE PRECISION;
 dx DOUBLE PRECISION;
 y0 DOUBLE PRECISION;
 dy DOUBLE PRECISION;
 xp DOUBLE PRECISION;
 yp DOUBLE PRECISION;
 rpoint Geometry;
BEGIN
 -- find envelope
 x0 = ST_XMin(geom);
 dx = (ST_XMax(geom) - x0);
 y0 = ST_YMin(geom);
 dy = (ST_YMax(geom) - y0);

 WHILE i < maxiter LOOP
  i = i + 1;
  xp = x0 + dx * random();
  yp = y0 + dy * random();
  rpoint = ST_SetSRID( ST_MakePoint( xp, yp ), ST_SRID(geom) );
  EXIT WHEN ST_Within( rpoint, geom );
 END LOOP;

 IF i > maxiter THEN
  RAISE NOTICE 'number of interations exceeded max';
 END IF;

 RETURN rpoint;
END;
$BODY$
  LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE
  COST 100;
ALTER FUNCTION randompoint(geometry) OWNER TO "usrPostgres";

-- Function: dot_density(text, text, text, text)

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION dot_density(geom_table text, geom_col text, zone_col text, num_of_points_col text)
  RETURNS SETOF record AS
$BODY$
DECLARE
 counter integer:=0;
 tazrec record;
 pointrec record;
 result record;

 num_points integer:=0;
 np integer :=0;
begin

DROP sequence if exists randpnt_id;
CREATE sequence randpnt_id;

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS dp;
CREATE TABLE dp
(
  gid integer PRIMARY KEY,
  ser integer,
  "zone" integer,
  decrease_or_increase integer,
  the_geom geometry
);

for tazrec in EXECUTE 'SELECT ' || zone_col || ' as geom_col , ' || zone_col || ' as zone_col, '|| num_of_points_col || ' as num_of_points_col FROM ' || geom_table Loop
 RAISE INFO 'Treating zone: %' , tazrec.zone_col;
 num_points = tazrec.num_of_points_col;

 IF num_points !=0 THEN np := num_points/abs(num_points);
 ELSE np=0;
 END IF;

 EXECUTE 'INSERT INTO dp SELECT nextval(''randpnt_id'') as gid, generate_series, '|| tazrec.zone_col ||  ', ' || np ||' , randompoint(the_geom) FROM ' || geom_table || ', generate_series(1, '|| abs(num_points) ||') WHERE '|| zone_col || '='|| tazrec.zone_col ;

END LOOP;

RETURN ;
end;
$BODY$
  LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE
  COST 100
  ROWS 1000;
ALTER FUNCTION dot_density(text, text, text, text) OWNER TO postgres;

--
John Abraham
This email address is being phased out, please update your records to use john at theabrahams.ca for personal email and jea at hbaspecto.com for work email.