[postgis-users] Convert from character to timestamptz

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Sat Oct 1 00:02:33 PDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 09:10:27PM -0400, Mathieu Basille wrote:
> Le 30/09/2011 17:49, Sandro Santilli a écrit :
> >>You're right, I'm being too vague (in my defence, error messages are
> >>in French for me!).
> >
> >See if exporting LANG=C helps there.
>
> Did you mean at the command line or in the SQL query window? I tried
> both with no success.
> I also tried to launch pgAdmin with 'LC_ALL=C pgadmin3', but error
> messages were still in French. What's weird is that the whole
> software runs in English!

You probably need that variable to be in the backend environment, as
that's where the messages originate from. But a user-driven language
support would make much more sense so maybe it _is_ possible to do,
seek the web about it, there might be a way to signal the desired
language from the frontend to the backend (some set variable thing)
and if not you could file a feature request for pgsql hackers :)

> ALTER TABLE test
>     ALTER COLUMN date TYPE timestamptz
>     USING date::timestamptz;
>
> I have now date as a 'timestamptz'!