[postgis-users] ArcGIS GRID data

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 08:07:43 PDT 2011

On Sep 30, 2011, at 11:15 PM, pcreso at pcreso.com wrote:

> I have converted such grids to XYZ points using GDAL & stored them as Postgis points, but ensure you are clear about your pixel vs grid registration (are the X&Y coords at cell origin or centre?)

Thanks Brent. This is good advice. I am still at a prelim stage determining the best foot forward. My choices, as I knew until now, were tiff and grid. I am intrigued by the idea of storing them as Pg points, but am concerned about data inflation. A couple of thousand (or more) points in each direction can result in several million points, and the db overhead per row can be killing.

> I'll leave it to you to determine whether upgrading to a version supporting PGRASTER is viable or preferable.

At some point, when the stable version arrives, then I would definitely consider it. Right now I have little latitude with testing non-stable software.

Many thanks again. Good to hear another pov.