[postgis-users] representing 3D shapes, e.g. gml:AbstractSolidType in PostGIS?

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 16:00:22 PDT 2011

On 14 October 2011 05:49, Courtin Olivier <olivier.courtin at oslandia.com> wrote:

> Global aim, is to have a 3D topological library.
> So something acting like GEOS, but for surfaces and solid.
>
> First step will be to look closer if available 3D library could be an help, yes or no.
> (December 2011 -> February 2012)

A volumetric library similar to GEOS would be very nice, as I seem to
deal with these problems often. (I wish I could have funding resources
for this).

The literature seems to be recently advancing on topological models:
http://www.inf.bv.tum.de/papers/uploads/paper_0629.pdf
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1474034609000287

(the later peer-reviewed journal article even mentions PostGIS!)

-Mike