[postgis-users] Finding the closest house number on a street

René Fournier m5 at renefournier.com
Thu Oct 13 17:19:03 PDT 2011

In PostGIS parlance, given a lat/lng point... where -- in terms of percentage or decimal -- does it lie along on a row's  multilinestring?

The thing is, the multilinestring is just a single line string. But I suppose there are cases where there are more than one segment to the street… In any case, I have a range of house numbers, and I need to determine which side of the multilinestring the latlng lies, and then how far along… I know I'm not the first person to ask this, but I haven't been able to find a suitable answer.

For what it's worth, I'm using the 2010 Tigerline data imported via shp2pgsql.

Any ideas? Thanks!

…Rene