[postgis-users] PostGIS Conceptual and Phisical Modelling

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Oct 27 08:46:05 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 05:07:19PM -0300, Carlos Andrade wrote:

> I found out that PostGIS could load shapefiles based on ESRI .shp and other
> extensions for attributes, etc, but I've did not find yet a tool that could
> take as input the google maps image, and let me save it as a shape file to
> be directly loaded on the PostGIS. Is that possible?

Openlayers (.org) has some nice editing tools and you can use google
layer as background for going after it. Then you'll need some javascript
to communicate to a backend for saving what you draw. I'd look at tinyows
if I were you. It saves directly in postgis.

> I've dowloaded an ArchGis 10 trial and have been trying to use ArchMap, and

Don't.

> ArchCatalog  or ArchMap (web) to try to figure things out, but so far I
> wasn't very lucky.

Doesn't have to do with luck.
Can't figure things out using proprietary software.
Do yourself a favor and use software you can look into.

> Another thing I was curious and still didn't find out is if 1.3.6 did not
> support topology by that time. Since my university computers only have
> postgis on this version I'm "stucked" on it and have not been able to use
> topology.

Topology was available since PostGIS 1.1.0.
But what you get in binary packages isn't necessarely what was available
at the source level. You should be able to install your own version
of PostGIS and PostgreSQL if you can't convince the university to install
it themself.

--strk;