[postgis-users] How do you install multiple versions of Postgis on a single database cluster

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Oct 27 08:48:36 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 12:01:14AM +0200, Sindile Bidla wrote:
> I am running ubuntu 11.10 with PostgreSQL 9.1 with Postgis 1.5.3 installed
> via apt. I would also like to test Postgis 2.0 on the same database cluster
> any advise on how to proceed.
>
> I have already downloaded Postgis 2.0 from
> http://postgis.refractions.net/download/postgis-2.0.0SVN.tar.gz

./configure --with-topology --with-raster && make && make check &&
sudo make install

 createdb pgis20_tests
 createlang pgis20_tests plpgsql
 psql -f postgis/postgis.sql pgis20_tests

Then you have your old databases using 1.5.3 and the new database
using 2.0.0SVN.

Don't miss to also install GEOS-3.3.1 for getting most out of topology
(install it _before_ building the new postgis).

--strk;