[postgis-users] smoothing data - David Bitner method

Gery . gamejihou at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 2 14:31:55 PDT 2012

I was searching on internet a way to smooth lines in postgis, something different to just using simplify or the st_simplify approach, and I found an impressive method developed by Mr. David Bitner, this is the post: http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2010-October/030264.html, and the output PNG is very impressive.

I have a very similar problem as showed by Mr. Bitner, but just having only longitude and latitude (two parameters instead of 4 as in the link above). I tried already the simplify command and it doesn't give the smooth I want, because it doesn't produce curves, even though I played with almost all the reasonable values in the tolerance. Has anyone used this neat script succesfully on longitude/latitude (e.g., navigation) tracks? or is there some command already like that in postgis 1.5.3.??

Thanks in advance for any help,