[postgis-users] How to design a database for continents, countries, regions, cities and POIs?

mkubenka mkubenka at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 04:31:19 PDT 2012

I'm brand new to GIS programming and I am designing a GIS application. Target
is to create system with continents, countries, regions (including states,
sub-regions, provinces), cities and places in cities. Each of this elements
will contain some text information and related stuff. As database we are
going to use PostgreSQL with PostGIS.

My question is how to design database for this system? I was thinking of 2
tables polygons and points, but I'm not sure if it's good way of thinking.