[postgis-users] Use of tolerances in topology

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Tue Apr 17 23:28:59 PDT 2012

ST_Dwithin is not only brute force, at least in theory.

The faster distance algorithm is used in the range when the expanded
bounding boxes intersect but not the geometries own bounding boxes
intersect.

First the && operator checks if the expanded bounding boxes intersects,
if not the answer is false

Then in ST_DWithin the actual bounding boxes of the geometries is
checked if they intersect and if they don't and none of the geometries
is a point (then brute force will be faster) the algorithm described in
the link is used:
 http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/NewDistCalcGeom2Geom

But if they do intersect it will be brute force until first distance
found that satisfies the second argument to ST_DWithin.

For tolerance purposes the faster algorithm is quite useless since in
almost all cases the bounding boxes will intersect on small distances,
so Paul is right that it is mostly brute force.

Regards
Nicklas