[postgis-users] Returning contiguous linestrings

Bob Pawley rjpawley at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 18 03:57:52 PDT 2012

Hi Nicolas

I have, lets say, eight rows each containing a linestring, that, when put
together forms a closed shape or polygon.

I can fairly easily detect one of the linestrings in this polygon.

Since each linestring has a endpoint at (or near) the startpoint of the next
linestring in the polygon, I am wondering if there is a method of detecting
the other linestrings, that forms a closed polygon, from that one contact.

>From this I would compare the shape to known shapes to identify it.

I have some ideas on how to possibly do this, but, I would rather not invent
a function if a suitable one already exists.

Bob