[postgis-users] Postgresql Crashes/Lockups

Edward Muller edward at heroku.com
Mon Apr 23 13:58:48 PDT 2012

Hi all ...

Last week I asked in #postgis / #osgeo about the following crashes:

https://gist.github.com/97ec14e9546e2cc4c858#file_1

https://gist.github.com/97ec14e9546e2cc4c858#file_2

https://gist.github.com/97ec14e9546e2cc4c858#file_3

https://gist.github.com/97ec14e9546e2cc4c858#file_4

I was told that both libgeos 3.2.3 and 3.3.3 should fix the problems in
question. Since 3.2.3 was a less risky upgrade, I packaged and upgraded
libgeos on the customer's system to 3.2.3 (from 3.2.2).

All seemed well until this morning when the same/similar
problem occurred again:
https://gist.github.com/97ec14e9546e2cc4c858#file_20120423_01

Developers in #postgis seemed to think this was all related to the
following ticket: http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/ticket/473

Are we fairly certain that ticket #473 is included in 3.2.3 ? The reason I
am asking is that the above bug was open on 09/04/11 and closed on 11/30/11.

GEOS 3.2.3 was released on 09/21/11. This is 2 months *before* the bug was
closed. Change log for 3.2.3 does not have any mention of fixing
ticket #473<https://support.heroku.com/tickets/473>
 (http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/browser/tags/3.2.3/NEWS). On the contrary the
change log for the 3.3 branch has this fix (
http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/browser/tags/3.3.3/NEWS) starting 3.2.2 and
above.

Thoughts?