[postgis-users] Postgis2.0 documentation for Windows

JamesH james.holmes at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue Apr 24 05:22:44 PDT 2012

"Is there any online or at least any useful articles and tips? I guess some
things must be the same with the linux documentation but some others,
like uploading a raster file, cannot be the same."

Is there a specific task you're trying to acheive?

I use Postgis 2.0 on Windows and although the syntax is obviously different
from Linux, most of the content is the same.
I find this document helpful:
http://www.postgis.us/downloads/postgis20_raster_cheatsheet.html

For uploading a Raster, if you're PostGIS install has been successful, I run
raster2pgsql from command prompt, navigating to the folder
raster2pgsql is in C:\Program Files..\PostgreSQL\9.1\bin

Then for most of my raster work I've used basic constraints, so something
like
>raster2pgsql -s YOURSRID -I -C C:\Users\dataname.tif public.tablename >
C:\Users\dataname.sql
Where the constraints are from this manual:
http://www.postgis.org/documentation/manual-svn/using_raster.xml.html

To load it into PostGIS I opt for: In a Query Window > File > Open > the SQL
file from raster2pgsql and then Execute Query
Though for larger files it is better to use something like: psql -U
yourpostgresrole -f "C:\Users\Data\Thermal.sql" yourDatabase

Hope that helps,

James

-----
GIS Undergraduate